The FemTouch™ vaginal laser rejuvenation treatment restores vaginal health reducing and often eliminating the signs of vaginal atrophy (dryness, pain with sex, itching and burning), stress urinary incontinence and laxity suffered by so many women after childbirth and menopause.
This quick, painless, non-invasive, NO downtime treatment carries very little risk and can be absolutely life changing. Our patient satisfaction has been incredibly high with results experienced by our patients and their partners even after one treatment!
Dr. Shaw is a national speaker on FemTouch and is on the Lumenis Advisory Board. Lumenis is the inventor of and leader in CO2 laser technology. The SHAW Center, with 20 years of laser/light experience, was the first practice trained to provide FemTouch in the United States.
FemTouch™ is a quick, non-hormonal, non-surgical and highly effective treatment for many symptoms of vaginal atrophy, urinary stress incontinence and vaginal laxity often associated with menopause and pregnancy:
- Painful intercourse
- Vaginal dryness, burning or itching
- Vaginal Laxity due to loss of elasticity and tone (known as laxity or vaginal relaxation syndrome)
- Stress Urinary incontinence or urgency
- Recurrent bladder infections (UTIs)
- Vaginal or vulva pain
- Reduced sensitivity and sexual arousal
- Changes in external vaginal appearance
The most common cause of vaginal atrophy is a decrease in estrogen, which is essential for maintaining the health and function of the vaginal and urinary systems. This happens naturally just before and after menopause This natural decline in estrogen will often exacerbate damage that may have occurred as a result of pregnancy, childbirth or other factors.
However, any women at risk of being in a low or suppressed estrogen state can suffer vaginal atrophy symptoms, including younger women following:
- Prolonged progesterone only contraception;
- Prolonged breastfeeding;
- Ovarian failure; and Induced menopause secondary to
- Breast cancer medications/treatment
- Surgery where ovaries are removed
- Stress, depression and strenuous exercise
While many menopause symptoms like hot flushes will pass in time, vaginal atrophy does not usually resolve and can worsen over the years, causing a consequent decline in comfort, intimate activities and quality of life. It is important for women to realize that these symptoms are very common and treatable.
WHO IS A GOOD PATIENT?
FemTouch™ is a very low-risk procedure and indicated for nearly all women presenting with vaginal atrophy symptoms, including those:
- In peri-menopause, menopause and post-menopause;
- With symptoms secondary to cancer medication or surgery, who are unable to use hormone-based treatments
- Who haven’t responded to topical estrogen HRT or find the application unpleasant
- With recurrent yeast or bladder infections
- Who experience pain, discomfort or bleeding during intercourse
- With lost elasticity (laxity) following child-birth or other conditions
- Who experience mild to moderate urinary incontinence with running, coughing, sneezing, laughing…
- Who have urinary urgency
WHAT RESULTS CAN I EXPECT?
FemTouch™ treatment essentially restores your vagina to its younger, elastic and healthy functioning state in 1 – 3 treatments. It also helps to reduce stress urinary incontinence urgency symptoms.
Nearly all of our patients (and partners) at The SHAW Center have reported extremely positive improvement in their symptoms, some describing it as life changing. Women have reported:
- Much better vaginal lubrication
- Significant reduction in pain (or no pain) with intercourse
- Decreased vaginal burning and itching sensation
- Marked improvement of urinary urgency and stress incontinence
- Vaginal tightening and better elasticity
- Increased sensation, orgasm and responsiveness
- Increased libido and self-confidence
- A significant difference experienced by their sexual partner
HOW DOES FEMTOUCH™ WORK
FemTouch™ works applying a fractional CO2 laser to the vaginal mucosa stimulating the body’s regenerative processes. This process creates more blood supply and collagen to the vaginal mucosa restoring integrity and elasticity and the pH of the vaginal tissue. By restoring a healthy and youthful vaginal environment, many symptoms of pregnancy and menopause improve or simply disappear.
CONSULTATION PRIOR TO TREATMENT:
A full history will be obtained and examination will be performed to make sure you are a candidate for the FemTouch procedure. We require that you to have an up-to-date pap smear and no other contraindications to treatment. In most cases you may have your first treatment immediately following the consultation. There is pre-treatment preparation required.
The FemTouch™ procedure is short, painless and simple taking no more than 15 minutes. The internal vaginal mucosa and external vaginal area can both be treated during the same session depending on the issues we are addressing. A gentle, brief vaginal exam with a speculum will be preformed and the vaginal pH measured. A lubricated sterile probe will be inserted and the laser applied to the entire vaginal wall. There is no pain associated with the internal treatment. If the external vaginal area is to be treated, a numbing cream will be applied prior to treatment.
There is no down time with the FemTouch™ treatment and patients can return to their normal daily activities . We recommend no intercourse for 3 days.
HOW LONG WILL THE RESULTS LAST?
The results of the FemTouch™ treatment are excellent and most patients experience a significant improvement after just one Fem Touch treatment. We do recommend 2-4 treatments 4 – 6 weeks apart. Some patients report improvement within days, but the effects are more noticeable after a few weeks with the remodeling of collagen in the vaginal mucosa and continue progressively for 6 months.
At this time we are recommending a maintenance treatment every 1-2 years to maintain the beneficial results.