Important Breast Implant Update
January 1, 2022
Governor Ducey signed Arizona Revised Statute (A.R.S.) § 32-3228 into law and it becomes effective on January 1, 2022.
In summary, the requirements under the statute are as follows:
Beginning January 1, 2022, before performing breast implant surgery, the surgeon must provide the patient with the following – in print or electronic format:
1. A description of the risks of breast implants and the surgical procedures used in breast implant surgery;
2. Breast implant manufacturer patient information materials, in a hard copy or an electronic format, on the implants that will be used in the surgery, including warning requirements prescribed by the United States FDA (See links below).
3. The Arizona Breast Implant Patient Checklist
4. Information on how the patient can report adverse events associated with breast implants
5. A written informed consent for the procedure from the patient before performing the breast implant surgery.
Arizona Breast Implant Patient Checklist
This new Arizona Statute requires specific information (The Arizona Breast Implant Patient Checklist), prepared by the State, to be provided to all patients before placement of breast implants. Although some of the information in the checklist is not currently supported by scientific or medical studies, the FDA and Arizona State government believes you should be aware of this information before proceeding with your breast implant surgery.
This breast implant patient checklist is intended to supplement the additional breast surgery consent forms that you will be provided prior to your surgery. In addition, please click on the links below to review manufacturer patient booklet/brochure that includes important information about your specific breast implant. Please read and discuss the items in this checklist during your consultation with Dr. Shaw. You should place your initials in the location provided next to each item to indicate that you have read and understood the item. Your full signature at the end of this document means that you have read the materials and that your physician has answered all questions to your satisfaction.
Please download, read, initial and sign the Arizona Breast Implant Patient Checklist – Click HERE to download and Print.
Please bring the Breast Implant Checklist to your consultation or pre-op visit to discuss and go over any questions you may have.
Please review the Breast Implant Information below for your implant manufacturer
Allergan Natrelle Silicone Breast Implant Information – Click HERE to View
Allergan Natrelle Saline Breast Implant Information – Click HERE to View
Sientra Silicone Breast Implant Patient Brochure – Click HERE to View
Mentor Breast Augmentation / Memory Gel Silicone Implant Brochure – Click HERE to View
Mentor Breast Augmentation / Saline Implant Brochure – Click HERE to View